30 Jun 2011

Spirit of excellence seems to be a bad thing…

I have always driven those within my influence, especially staff, towards the spirit of excellence. I can be quite a hard master when it comes to such commitment to excellence / quality.

Some say i should not expect others to replicate my level of excellence? Seems like people are ‘suffering’ when i try to groom them to the level – like a watchmaker might groom its apprentices to the same level of precision in watch making.

If i choose to think that way ie do not expect others to reach the same [or higher] degree of excellence, then i would be arrogant. Because it would be tantamount to the fact that i am the only one who can reach that level or i judge others as not capable of doing so.

So, i will continue to choose to drive my apprentices to a higher level of excellence, like young sports talents, though they might dislike it, think that i am a bad person, or refuse to allow their talents to be stretched. It is equally frustrating on both sides. What is frustrating for me is that folks see the negative and cannot see the positive. Instead of motivating oneself to clock one’s personal best – they see all that is wrong.

Many settle for mediocrity instead of excellence.

I know some will argue that when a person excels in an area and functions fully in it, it is very likely there would be a neglect in another area[s] of his or her life.

Is it better to be someone who functions in mediocrity in everything? Or is it better to seek excellence in as many aspects of life as possible, neglecting that which are least priority?

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.