27 Mar 2011

Change is never easy…

I was greeted by a bus driver recently when i boarded the bus. It is part of the courtesy drive by the public service provider. Not every bus driver does it. Hence it is really up to the individual bus driver though the company has trained them, incentivised them etc.

That got me thinking…is it a behavioural change? A change of the will? A change of cognition?

Here are my thoughts.

To arrive at behavioural change without the mindset change, the typical approach will involve both carrot and stick. The employee in which case responds to the positive or negative conditioning. The behaviour will have a short term shelf life…old habits will prevail. Hence, it does not affect the will.

In recent times, many talent management advocates have been using the word ‘will’. To connect with a talent’s will, is one of the most challenging – if even possible – intervention for a manager.

I know no one can change my will, I will have to come to a conclusion myself and make that change on my own. The light inside must suddenly turn on………

Only when there is a change in the will, will there truly be mindset change and adoption of values previously not seen. A true transformation takes place.

There are some issues in our life which can take us all a lifetime to address. Yet there are others which sometimes get addressed not because of our conscious choice – but due to a trauma or sudden impact, the issue is gone. Transformation change is like the pupae to butterfly metamorphosis. Superficial change, for the moment response, is like the colours of the chameleon – changes with the circumstances and truly superficial and temporal.

Change is a continuum and only conscious change has the most significant impact. We must live life with a certain deliberate sense of purpose and with passion, constantly reflecting, pondering and consciously addressing issues and changing……

Is ‘conscious change’ a part of your world?

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.