28 Nov 2010

Perspective…a tricky thing…..

There is a saying in Chinese … ‘if we compare up, we cannot measure up, and if we compare down, we are not as bad…’ [almost literal translation]..

The point there is …do not compare!

A conversation with a cab driver today sparked a thought! Our ‘problem’ as we find it…….the degree of its dimension is really quite relative ….when compared to the loss of a dear one, money loss would seem less and when compared to the loss of many lives due to a world war / natural disaster, the loss of a dear one seems proportionally small, etc…. Sometime ago, I coined the term ‘perspect-fully’…more on this another time……

Some time ago i had shared about the little boy and his burst McD balloon……his wailing was as if the world had collapsed… As adults, we too sometimes make a big deal of a matter cos it is so big in our life at that time…. Age always helps!  Looking back, i am embarrassed by the many times i let what was an insignificant event become so humongous in my paradigm…..I guess that might be part of the rite of passage for the immature as they pass through the continuum towards maturity.

Hence it is important to always take time to reflect on the ‘problem’ at hand…… It really isn’t that big….. and the often quoted saying is worth observing, ‘Don’t sweat the small stuff’……

I suppose if i imagine myself now in the last mile of my life, what would i do differently…… I remember the good advice, ‘Live today as if it is the last day of my life…… ‘

I will, will you?

1 comment:

Adiratta said...

Dear 'Tall' Precious Sister :)

I must admit that i rather enjoyed the sense of reflection that stirred through me as I read this piece of your writing.

So I'm going to eagerly wait for your next piece. In the meantime, I shall read the rest of your older entries.

PS: You owe me a story telling session where you recount your experiences of Rajasthan and Kashmir! :)
Hey! That could be your next blog entry!

Love and Hugs,
Jushoi

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.