3 Oct 2010

Another plane story….

I guess the stories do get old if the theme is the same [oops, sorry, another plane story]….

I was assigned a seat [no choice cos it was a budget airline and it was a fairly full flight] next to mother and 2+ year old child. Within a short moment, I realised i needed to locate another seat. The little girl was kicking me, and fussing etc.

Not wanting to offend the Mom, I spoke to the Chinese-looking air steward in mandarin ‘is there a seat I can move to?’ The reply surprised me. He said ‘I don’t speak Chinese.’ After he walked away and while i was still trying to get over that unexpected ‘disconnect’, a voice from across the aisle spoke to me in Mandarin ‘That is odd, he does not speak Mandarin, I do.’ The gentleman is Indian!

He and his wife [Malaysian Indian and Singaporean Chinese] were returning to Singapore from Cochin. We chatted briefly in Mandarin. We were trying to guess steward C.K.’s identity since he looked Chinese and has accent that did not befit a Korean.

That is the reality of a global world…..

Back to the child, Priya. As is the usual experience, the mother lost control of the child over the use of seat belt. The stewardess / steward had to intevene just before take off and just before landing. The little one fought hard with screams, and tears. This Aunty thinks a smack on the bottom would have caused the same ruckus but produce a more effective compliance to the use of seat belt. Of course, that means Mom would have the same authority at home. I was wondering if Moms prepare their children for flights ie explain what is needed, and drill them through the process, and have children all ready. Fellow passengers would have more peace. Ah well, how many parents care about the fellow passengers. They can't hardly manage their own responsibility as parents.

Sigh, there are more children flying and there are more untameable children onboard planes .....that is the reality of life.

Salute to parents who do the extras to help their children be responsible & considerate people, and future neighbours, colleagues, friends, and spouses.....

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.