24 Sept 2010

One can poached skills and knowledge but not values and cultures…

Recently in a conversation with a friend on ‘talents’, we touched on an interesting point.

A competitor might poach staff from my company. But they cannot poach the culture or values of my company. The reality is that the same talent may not function equally well in their culture, because it would come with a different value set. 

So, I believe companies that instill great values in their talent, and offer strong working culture will stand out amongst the crowd. Talents from such ‘cultured environments’ will have hard time in other less cultured environments…

Therefore, it is not uncommon that people who quit from a company to join a competitor, some time later return to the company which they have ‘grown up’ with.

So it behooves us, those who has the influence, to put more effort to build unique value and culture, and be less concern about competing via marketing, and intelligence. That is not to say that these are not important, but they are of less significance if the talents hired are not finding their ‘bearings’ at the organisation.

I am comforted.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.