22 May 2010

Focus of a winner is the finishing line….

Be it in a sports or in business, there are clearly strong competitors. Recently pondering over a few challenges got me even more focused on the finishing line, rather than the competitors.

It is so easy to be distracted by many things along the way, not the least of whom are competitors. Referring to the Learning Design industry, new happenings are just a norm – new product, new company, new trends, new authors, new buzz words, the list is endless and it never seems to stop …….

I admit that every so often I wonder if I should reckon with the competition, be known, be seen and be ‘better’ ….

I thank God that the thought is not sticky ie it disappears as soon as it shows up. It is very comforting to have a clear goal and focus. Because I am very clear on my goal and business proposition to the industry, and I play in a space few want to, I keep my eyes on the finishing line. I want to ‘finish well’ – that is my focus, rather than ‘be better than my competitor’. This focus does mean I have to forgo some things. Some of the things I like to do and are good at. That is what focus demands.

Usain Bolt was dedicatedly focused on the finishing line when he competes, not at his competitor because he knows the facts.

I know God has directed my path, placed me where He wants me, and blessed me with skills and His favour. Those are the facts I hold onto, regardless of the storms and the competitors!

I hope you have your sight on your finishing line.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.