22 May 2010

A clear weakness in the competency framework..

Across of the geographies, countries have created a national competency framework to standardise and to create consistent delivery in training…

I have worked on 2 projects that are governed by the Singapore competency framework. I struggled with the exacting nature of the framework but I finally just figured out why I have such a difficult time…

By the time the entire ‘curriculum’ is teased into well written learning objectives, it has become a clinical lab and the final outcome of the learning is typically lost. It is impossible to measure that outcome.

The assumption is that skill based learning is purely centered on technical competencies or sometimes known as core competencies / functional competencies.

As I work on the architecture of the Learning Design Curriculum which I am using to groom professional Learning Designers,  I am even more keenly aware that technical competencies alone do not cut it or are not sufficient.

Just because Learning Designers can do the technical aspects of their job do not make them quality Learning Designers. Why? You might ask.

There are a lot of other competencies [soft skills, attitude-related, value-centered ones] which tend to be taught separately. In the life of a professional, these competencies do not operate as distinct entities – they are deeply intertwined.

The competency framework does not facilitate the holistic and realistic representation of the real world. There is a major gap between those who drive the framework and those who implement it on the ground. Even greater is the gap between those who drive the framework and those who are supposed to be trained.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.