20 Apr 2011

I can teach you technique but I cannot teach you passion….

I was watching a movie on TV sometime ago [forgot the movie, kekeke] and there was a line ‘I can teach you technique but I cannot teach you passion’.

It was a teacher / trainer who was supposed to transform someone in a short period of time.

Last night, i was listening to a Gen Y person being profiled on TV. At 29 she is earning 6-figure salary per month and she said she wants to earn millions. She also said she worked 500x harder than her peers. She plans to retire with the one job.

She is successful because she is passionate about her job. The money came as a consequence to her passion at work. Wherever she goes, whatever job she does, her passion is what drives her success.

In my last year of encounters with folks who wants to enter the Learning Design field, as I groom them in the apprentice programme, I realise that many are living a mere illusion. Why so?

There is no success if there is no spirit of excellence. Spirit of excellence and talents must pervade all our outputs. Mere words and charisma only leave a vacuum after a while. 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration we have been told. Most Gen Y poo poo this saying. But those who are willing to sweat for their passion, will rise up above the majority.

Without a doubt, a person who is unwilling to put in the hours is not passionate about the work no matter how he or she convinces  with words. When a thousand of excuses are given, and if money is the only driver, such a person will not find success.

So it is when interviews are conducted, people do say what they want to say. But as the saying goes ‘when the rubber meets the road’ or ‘the proof is in the pudding’, the truth / reality tells a more accurate story. If the gap is big, the illusion in the candidate is large too.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.