28 Jun 2010

It always even out….

[Jun 22/23] Seated at the Bangalore airport, awaiting my 1.30 am flight back to Singapore, I am smiling about my entire trip to the airport and onto the departure gate.

Compared to my previous trips to the airport, this trip on the cab was the aggravating experience and not the airport experience itself.

Typically, the ticket counter bit had some drama or other – like the 300 SGD I had to pay Tiger Airways for luggage overweight. The procedure was so punishing ie ‘put all your luggage including carry on’ to weigh together. No way, I could have offloaded, after all i was at the airport by myself an hour away from anyone who could take the ‘extra’ to keep for me.

Then there was the immigration counter, invariably I got stuck behind an unmoving line. Once it was a most annoying experience. I was standing, next to be cleared. The lady at the counter was yakking away with the officer. At first i thought it was the usual banter. But 10 mins later, I realised that there was going to be no movement, as the lady droned on…‘please tell her she should….’; ‘I say buy this ….’; ‘she said…’

Wisdom dictated that I switched counter which I did. Just when I was next to walk up, the officer signalled that he was going to hand in the collected slips and he took forever long to return. Long story cut short, I would enter the departure hall flustered most times.

Today, I had a totally different experience. I was flustered when the cab company called me for directions to the service apt where I was at but the person could not understand English. In the 1st place, the instructions would have been given by my partnering company in Bangalore. I was trying to tell them that the company would have given the details, they hung up on me.

Then the driver came around 11.05 pm. [11.15 pm was the requested time.] He drove like a mad dog, and we arrived at the airport in 30 mins [typically takes at least 45 mins; sometimes an hour]. I was praying the entire way as he sped without control at 120 kpm. At that moment, I realised that no point focusing on the driver being safe, instead to focus on God’s mercy. After all, it is God who determines when my time is up.

Ah well, God’s faithfulness ensured my safe arrival at the airport.

Then began my pleasant experience – totally the reverse of previous experience. SilkAir has found an effective formula. They only just started service at Bangalore Airport in May. All the serving staff [ground crew] were great looking and service oriented. Compared to Tiger Airways, these folks were like angels. They smiled, they talked and chatted. The young men at the counter actually smiled and were so charming.
I had 28 kg, even with the 5 kg grace, i was till 3 kg over. The young charmer said it in such a nice way, and so i took courage to plead helplessly [acknowledging it was the mangoes].  He joked with his colleague and then looked to the supervisor. They looked at my only carry on piece ie the computer bag pack, the supervisor gave a nod. I was bowing and thanking profusely!

Immigration was a total breeze – no kink whatsoever!

So here I am – almost for the 1st time – that I am seated at the departure gate, blissful!

So well, with 10 kg of mangoes in my bag, without having to pay extra cent for the extra 8 kg, I can’t help but smile about the time when I had to pay SGD 300 for nothing of value. So, it always works out, eventually that is.

What awaits me in the hours ahead? More of God’s goodness and mercy!

ps: writing at 4.43 am Singapore time on the flight about mid-way home. All’s swell b’cos I am needing ‘my home’ and looking forward to my own routine for a change, after being out for 3 weeks. I was at first located way in the back of the plane and a really crowded section. I had noticed the middle section to be quite empty. I had asked the Silk Air hostess if I might be able to move. She said yes and that she would look out for me. Less than 10 mins later, she came with the manifest on hand, and directed me to a middle section row where I had the seats all to myself. Other airlines, were not as prompt! In fact, Jetstar did not allow it till after takeoff.
So it was a very pleasant journey home. I look forward to more such experiences on the ground and in the air.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.