22 May 2010

Finding a property or finding a dwelling solution…

On a recent search for a solution that involves getting an accommodation, I realised that most property agents only know how to secure a property, be it a land, house, apt etc.

But what i am looking for is more than an accommodation. I am looking for a solution to avoid potential conflict in a higher density environment.

For example, I am looking for a first floor apt, with its own yard, with a private entrance, in a small apt set up [no more than 15 units] with simple amenities like a parking lot. Swimming pool, club house, security guards etc are not critical.  As I examine and lengthen the list, I realised that searching for such a place, within a fixed budget, not to mention, location, quietness, etc, is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Either we have to build such a solution ourselves or we have to have an agent who is more than just a property agent. Both of which are equally challenging.

Most enter the property line because of the lure of money and for that matter, quick money during the boom time. Or they might enter it for a zillion other reasons. Few truly serve because they are seriously out to help people find housing solution. So, where do we find such people?

That got me thinking of Learning Designers too. Why do they serve in this industry? Are they truly passionate about the field and are seriously interested in helping another person learn? Or are they only ‘Designers’ as in the case of ‘Property Agents’?

The Singapore income tax arm of government, whose motto recently been amended to ‘Your Partner in Nation Building’ instead of ‘a tax collector’, suddenly their image changed and their pride got re-positioned.

If learning design can be re-positioned in a similar fashion [in the corporate world], it would be ‘Your business partner in re-engineering for talent management’ or something like that,then those serving in the Industry will have a new found pride.

When I wake up and get dressed for work or when I am asked what I do, quite obviously ‘Business re-engineer for talent management’ has more significance and motivation than ‘instructional design’.

Most might argue that Learning Design is the same as Instructional Design. I beg to differ. Instructional Design tend to be too much a task based profession or rather a task based job. Whereas, Learning Design brings solutions for human capital needs and it is a profession that warrants multi-skills, integration of core competencies and excellent soft skills…..

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.