25 Oct 2009

The pursuit of perfection…

In the game of excellence, often it is the entrapment of perfection that derails.

Perfection as an ongoing action of improvement is admirable but if it pursued as a destination, that is when it gets ugly.

I realise more and more that perfection should not be about outcome alone. I can, arrive at the finishing line with Hussein Bolt’s speed, Ginger Roger’s elegance, and precision, etc but be there alone. No one beside me, no one to cheer me and congratulate me, no one to share my joy.

I don’t want to be at the finishing line alone. I want to bring along friends, loved ones, family members… be it matters of personal or work relevance.

At the marketplace, there are many whom I can invite on the bandwagon to move together as a clan, towards continual improvement, learning from each other. To do so, my journey must definitely not be solo. I must be mindful of the speed of others in the team, their trepidation [if any], and allow some room for deviation. The boat must be able to take the entire team on the journey to the island called ‘perfection’. Sometimes it might spin multiple episodes / seasons of lost stories. [award winning! hehehhe]

So, either I take that lonely journey towards perfection, alienating everyone around me, and be in that perpetual ‘I am ok, you are not ok’ mode or I can move towards perfection, steering, influencing, coaxing, correcting, encouraging, counselling, cheering, etc. the entire team along the way.

We live in an imperfect world, where blind spots abound, selfish ambition often affecting in the subconscious realm, poor communication habits tearing down relationships, and the heart of human kind tending towards preservation of self, the pursuit of perfection is bound to be rocky.

At least, I should be consciously realistic and stay every bit humble.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.