3 Feb 2009

People search for intent when we speak….

Whether I like it or not, whether I am conscious of it or not, when I speak, my audience [willing or unwilling ones], will search for the intent of my message.

With so many things competing for their attention, people are always struggling to prioritise their focus. So, when I require anyone to listen to me, my communication must have clear intent.

Friends, acquaintance, whoever, will always be trying to find what ‘why is she saying that? of ‘what is she trying to say?’

People can choose to hear what I am actually saying or they might choose to hear what is spoken between the lines. Herein, lies an interesting interaction.

There are analogue speakers / hearers and there are the digital ones too.

I am a digital speaker / hearer [occupational hazard, haha]. What you hear me say is exactly what I mean. I mean what I say. However, when transacting with someone who has analogue preferences, the hearer searches for meaning in between the lines. Often, the communication gets derailed because the hearer is on his / her own wavelength, searching and trying to interpret the hidden messages [when there is none].

So it is with all forms of communication – written, spoken, body language etc – our intent must be clear. I often make it a point to state upfront why I say / write / communicate something to the hearer.

Be sure to know that any side comments we make, social commentary we insert do often get more attention than the centrality of our message.

I do not want to detract from the main focus of my message. I stay on the track [digitally too, hahaha]. I want to help my hearers to know my intent and give them no need to [mis]interpret.

When I ramble on and on and on, people listening will be bored, distracted, and even feel that their time is not being respected.

So what is my point? :)

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.