10 Feb 2009

Not an encouraging picture for those of us aging in the midst of angry disrespectful youngsters….

Today, within a 3-hour travel on the bus / train / visit to pay respect at the wake of a friend’s father, I was confronted with the reality of growing old in the midst of self-focused youngsters.

On the onward journey, a 20 something lady with her headphones on her ears, was sitting next to me. For about 15 minutes I had to endure her music as she ‘enjoyed’ it. I am not sure if she can enjoy it – loud and very techno type of music. I prayed the entire journey that I would not get irritated by the music and lose my peace. I was thankful she got off the train midway through my journey.

On the way back in the train [again], a young couple boarded the train soon after I started my journey. Dressed rather punk, the young boy [under 20] started to sample music on his mobile phone without headphones. It was very inconsiderately loud and again very techno style type of music. He stood in front of me and I am particularly sensitive to high pitch so I asked with a smile and in a gentle voice [was conscious not to be negative], ‘excuse me, excuse me, is it ok to bring down the volume a little, just a little?’ He glared at me, muttered in his native language which I happen to understand. Not only did he not lower the volume, he upped it intentionally. Other people started to stare at them. The gal must had felt uncomfortable, she decided to get off the train and the young chap followed. He glared at me as he alighted, as if to intimidate me. I gave him my firm stare too.

A teenager trying to dominate a 50 year old aunty, hmmmm. Very sad. What kind of care can I expect in another 15 years, when I might be in a home for the aged?

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.