15 Aug 2008

Singaporeans and Food [New Delhi]

Charlotte is not as adventurous with food and understandably so. Both of us have fairly sensitive stomachs and running to the loo is a common experience for both of us. I am thankful that my stomach takes to Indian cuisine well and I love spices, the burning kind too. Heheheheee.

Throughout the journey, Charlotte was not keen to use her hands to eat the breads [naans, roti, chapatti, etc] and I too for the most part. I would use 2 fingers on the right hand, if need be.  The more chewy breads are hard to cut with the knife [if there is one].

This reluctance to use her hands gave us an amusing encounter in New Delhi. While at the Castle 9 restaurant for lunch, a really customer friendly waiter must had been watching Charlotte struggle with the cutting. He walked up to us, took the remaining half piece of naan in the basket, proceeded to tear it with his fingers!! One portion on Charlotte’s plate and one on mine till he completed distributing that half piece, and then showed us how to dip it into the gravy, short of dipping his fingers into the dhal.

We were thinking, “He is touching our food! What are we to do?” Being nice Singaporeans, we ate without fuss to appreciate what he tried to do ie show us how to eat naan. After all, we had asked God to bless the food so we could trust Him to help us.

The waiter turned out to be one of two people who gave us the truth-telling experience in Delhi.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.