15 Mar 2009

Such beauty / love….

I was reading a couple of chapters in the Old Testament – Leviticus – [a book that describes in detail, with emphasis on ceremonial laws, health management, and the relationship between God, priests and the Israelites.]

As I read, I am amazed at the degree of details involved especially for the people to approach God. The Supreme Creator is pure and holy, often described as pure light – even more consuming that the Sun. Men, because of unholiness cannot come near Him, anymore than any mortals being able to get near the Sun without being turned into ashes.

However, God created a way through the ministry of the Priests. In the reading, I realised the High Priest [Aaron] had a humongous responsibility and had to face a daily challenge to purity or risk death. He had to follow the instructions of God exactly so that He can go into the Holy of the Holies and come out of it alive. Any carelessness, any actions that make the things of God unholy, even unintentional, means the Priest will die.

I was thinking if I were in his shoes [I am glad I am not] I would be so full of fear every time I am in the temple of God.

Blood is the essence of life and it was the blood of perfect lambs, rams, bull, doves, etc that was shed to redeem the Israelites from their sins [called the sin offering].

Then it dawned on me.....

Every time I sin [admittedly everyday], someone had to pay the price. It is only right that I pay for my sin. It should be my own blood. The grace of God redeemed me with Jesus’ blood, instead, which settled my debt once and for all. In the laws written in Leviticus, animal blood needs to be shed continually and annually in physical sacrifice. Similarly, very time I sin, it will cause Jesus to suffer - He is pierced again and blood shed again.

He willingly chooses to do that because He is my only mediator or gateway to God. He is the High Priest. Otherwise I can never enter into the presence of God. This is the depth of Jesus’ love, to continue to intercede even if it hurts Him so that I may enter into the presence of Holiness without being consumed.

How would one respond to such love? Sin more? Take Him for granted? Love Him, yield to Him, and walk in spirit with Him?

I know what I desire to do. May God help me.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.