30 Jan 2009

Power of self talk

Are you aware of the speeches you are making in your head? Stop in the midst of your thoughts, and recall what you just ‘said in your head’. We are constantly either making speeches at someone or at ourselves.

It is said that when 2 persons are speaking with each other, there are actually 6 ‘persons’ interacting. Assuming that I am speaking with you, it would be these 6:

  1. Who I think you are
  2. Who you think I am
  3. Who I think I am
  4. Who you think you are
  5. Who I really am
  6. Who you really are

The first 4 are as a result of self talk.

The power of our thoughts is something well researched and written about. But something that caught my attention is the work done by Dr Caroline Leaf. [www.drleaf.net/osc/].

I first heard about her work through Joyce Meyer online broadcast. [Christian]. Here are the links for those who want to hear her:

I am not doing justice but I will try to summarise:

  • the dendrites in our brain, which carry electrical signals of our thoughts, have structures that are tree-like
  • when we focus on constructive healthy thoughts, [..keep your minds on whatever is true, pure, right, holy, friendly, and proper. Don't ever stop thinking about what is truly worthwhile and worthy of praise…] the dendrites are beautifully spread out like tree branches
  • when we focus on unforgiveness, resentment, bitterness, anger etc., the dentrites look like thorns

We can choose our thoughts – stop those that are tearing oneself and replace with thoughts that build up – if we do so, we give our body health.

We want health – mental and physical.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.