31 Dec 2008

Transitioning from 2008 to 2009

2008 started in Portland, Oregon.

A few days before 2008 began, I had a 3-day retreat in a beautiful Christian Renewal Centre [in the Silver Creek Falls, Silverton, Oregon]. I chose this place at the very last minute, after considering a few other options.

I had the quiet moments I wanted, I met nice people and I also had a great picturesque landscape - a white wintery sight right out of a photo or painting.

Returning into Singapore in mid January 08, as I waited in the taxi queue at Changi Airport, I noticed a signboard just above the exit said 'A Nat Changi airport3ew Journey Begins' [see photo]. Those words echoed what God had been stirring within my spirit.

Now almost a year later, I look back on 2008.  Of course, I had all kinds of ideas of what 'new' meant. I must say the external ie circumstance has not changed much but the internal has seen some 'tearing down' and 'building up'.

Many of my deep rooted thought patterns, defensive mechanisms, and blind spots were illuminated by the Almighty. And with such patience, He has taken me through the processing path and onto the discoveries...That is the 'New Journey'.

Moving into 2009, I believe I will see the external 'new'. I look expectantly for it.

What I discovered in 2008 is that when God allowed circumstances to happen in my life, good or bad and especially the trying ones, they often made me more conscious of the issues that needed attention within me. What I had not realise before, suddenly became clear to me. Often it is a shocking revelation which i would rather deny. But when that laser beam was pointing, it burned; and I could deny all I wanted, it still hurt.

Yet another branch I have to yield to the Almighty to prune – ouch! No wonder it will take my entire living years to prepare myself as a bride for my Bridegroom to receive me into the mansion in the sky. I would rather run and hide sometimes. Other times, I would resist and wanted things my way. It was and still is hard. However, upon yielding, I found that the ‘weight’ on my back lightened. With the lessened weight in each passing year, I am running life’s marathon so much better – stronger endurance, resilience, and joy! It is said ‘good things don’t taste good but things that taste good are typically bad for us.’ Hmmm… so true!

I press on. I endeavour to judge not with what my eyes see, what my ears hear, or what is the apparent but allow my spirit be led by God’s wisdom. Admittedly, I fall down and pick up, fall down and pick up, fall down and pick up….like walking with a pair of boots with no traction on ice. I press on.

I like a word of wisdom shared by a man of God whom I listen to online [Jon Courson]:

BE NOTAS FAST AS GOD [if that is possible] but AS SLOW AS GOD WANTS IT.

In Feb 1 2008, Venus and Jupiter were the closest in the night sky. I read that Venus reflects 70% of the Sun’s light [the moon reflects only 10%]. Yet when the Sun rises, all other celestial bodies disappear in its presence. It reminded me, the power of absolute truth – in its presence, all relative truths will have to disappear.

In 2008, I was also challenged by inflammatory pain of my ligaments and tendons – thankfully not crippling or chronic. Whenever it flared up, the muscles do not seem to have strength and I tended to be lethargic. When I first detected these discomforts, I had to ‘listen’ carefully to my body to discern where the pains originated because there are so many different aches that come with the age. [I turned 50!]

Another lesson I am reminded of – to be still and listen to God and discern His voice, because there are many voices in the spiritual air waves and not all are from God.

I successfully completed Sudoku for the 1st time in Feb 08! At that time I was struggling with aimlessness / lack of focus, so Sudoku quickly became a strong pull – an addiction! It began to affect my work life balance…..As quickly as it entered my life, I stopped it because I did not want to lose my life’s priorities to Sudoku.

As the year turns, I am keenly aware of the challenges that will show up at the door. I am putting my trust in the Almighty to chart out the course for me. In 2008, some projects got completed, some are continuing into 2009 and some never took off. Some are still incubating in the palms of my CEO. I will continue to await the CEO to direct my steps. His provisions are always good, always on time, and very sufficient.

My personal desire is to help in whatever capacity to build resilience in individuals, companies and communities of practice. [locally and regionally].

I will end this reflection with the following observation.

Reality without nicety is HARSH while nicety without reality is HOLLOW.

The above thought cross my mind when i pondered over communication challenges. Some folks like to maintain harmony and avoid confrontational situations, at all cost, while other folks feel the need to clarify everything under the Sun even if it means confronting. Hence, one camp cannot ‘stand’ the other camp. Both ends are extremes.

There are many more examples of extremes. Extremes are manifested behaviours, arising from entrenched thought patterns in each individual, typically part of a person’s defence mechanisms.  Needless to say, extremes cause imbalance which will stoke irrational behaviours. Individuals with extremes are vulnerable to any triggers.

A wrathful bitter person, for example, will rage over anything and will gladly join any conversations that bash and curse, regardless of the issues.

There are many angry people across the globe. They will march in any protest. Because of their lack of self control, such individuals can be easily manipulated by the unseen culprit to carry out acts of rage, violence, and abuse.  They are potential weapons in our midst.

Love is the only effective counter-weapon to diffuse the anger and its potential danger. Love disarms. Love covers a multitude of sins. Love overlooks an offense.

Love is never tired of waiting

Love is kind

Love has no envy

Love has no high opinion of itself, love has no pride

Love's ways are ever fair, it takes no thought for itself

It is not quickly made angry, it takes no account of evil

It takes no pleasure in wrongdoing, but has joy in what is true

Love has the power of undergoing all things, having faith in all things, hoping all things

Even talents may have limits, but love has none.

On that note, I pray that your storehouses are over stocked with love [even though finance may be tight or you are very stretched] and you will continue to invest in love so that in 2009, you will be rich in love. May you be blessed to pour out your love assets to a world filled with hatred.

To you and your loved ones, I send you my prayers of blessings for 2009.

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.