30 Aug 2008

The Best Trip Planner, Advisor and Provider

We can't ask for a better logistician when it comes to planning with lots of unknowns. The Almighty knows everything and arranges the best for us. 

Our first surprise was the quick clearance through the new Bangalore International Airport. Anticipating the same experience of the old airport, I had factored about 1 hour to clear the airport procedures. I was totally unprepared to walk out out of the airport in just 10 minutes. Wow!!

Even the airport to city transport was quite an unexpected treat.  I was advised to take the bus and had even printed out all the details of what bus to take and where to get off. After a little disorientation, we realised the buses were just the ones within sight. While walking towards the buses, the usual taxi cab operators were there - but not as intimidating as the old airport - to offer us their services.  We had turned down all of them but a persistent one kept walking with us. They said they would take us for the same price of the bus ticket and to the same drop off location. How to say no to such an offer!

Here's a little stats for you to compare:
  • 1st trip from Airport to Kalyan Nagar - 300 INR
  • 1st trip to Airport from Airport Road, near Leela Palace - 700 INR
  • 2nd trip from Airport to Ramamurthy Nagar - 550 INR
  • 2nd trip from Ramamurthy Nagar to Airport - 700 INR
We had asked the same cab driver who charged us 300 INR [from the airport], how much he would charge for the trip back to the airport and the answer is 1200 INR!!! A friend, who is a local from Bangalore, found out that he had been fleeced all this while - paying in the 1000 INR range!!!

So, with a great steal in the bag, we arrived at destination about almost 90 minutes too early!!! My friend did not expect our arrival so early [I had previously arranged for a meeting at his office at 11 am].

On our flight to New Delhi on Jetlite, a budget airline, we got transferred from the middle of the aircraft to the 1st row - just the 2 of us, with plenty of leg room [though we do not have the legs to do justice, hahaha].  All because of the magazine pouch in front of me fell apart... I was not complaining....

Then there was the travel insurance slip up.... Charlotte thought I had purchased it myself and I thought she was buying for me. We only discovered that at the Singapore airport, just before flying out. I decided to send a 'telegram' to get the best insurance in an instant. I was fully insured - nothing happened - for the entire trip and it did not cost me a cent!!! Any idea who the agent is?

I gained an insight while on this trip. The event that had triggered the insight was the difficulty of looking away when a Mother walked up to the vehicle with a young infant, asking for money. I am sure all of you know what I am talking about.  How does one handle such sights?  When does one give and when does one not give? If I chose to consider these questions with a right or wrong perspective, I would be yo-yo'ing - between guilt and over compassion. Reflecting on this question one day, it hit me that the best way is to consider each encounter uniquely, with wisdom. A wisdom that comes from above, God Himself will guide me with each counter. According to that guidance, I will act, so no compulsion nor obligation nor guilt!!!

Amazingly, throughout the trip, when I thought I was very late getting to several meetings, I arrived at just the right time!! The receiving party was also delayed!!! What a lesson!!! I have the best trip planner!!!
The Chief Architect of my life journey also reminded me not to lose sleep over people, events or disappointments. 

No comments:

Quotations:

God starts us out on a life course to fulfill a certain purpose and then, only when we are ready, He gives us course corrections. Like a good river pilot, He steers us away from troubled waters, and like a good coach, He never puts us in the game until we are ready. The journey is never boring.

REMEMBER THIS ABOUT YOU...

  Read this out loud to yourself, and mean it!!

  I am precious, valuable, lovable and capable.
  The world will not be the same without me.
  I make a difference in this world, in the community I live in.
  I can make another person smile.
  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  I sing for I am loved by a great God whose nature is to give  love, mercy and grace.

  [In Hindi]
  Mai amulya hoon.
  Yeh duniya mayray bina wahi nahin rahegi.
  Mayray hone say is duniya mein kuch badlav hai.
  Mujh se doosre ke chahre pay muskuraahat aati hai.
  Mujhe bhayankar se banaya gaya hai.
  Mujhe gaana hai ki ek mahaan; ishwhar mujhe pyaar karte.
  Hain aur mayray prati daya dikhaate hain.